About the Instructor
Academy Award®-Nominated Writer-Director Daniel Raim attended the American Film Institute in Los Angeles, where he studied under one of Alfred Hitchcock’s most esteemed collaborators, Production Designer Robert F. Boyle.
Daniel has created a trilogy of “deeply moving” (Variety) and critically acclaimed documentaries about unsung heroes of Hollywood’s Golden Age, including, THE MAN ON LINCOLN’S NOSE (2000, Oscar®-Nominated); SOMETHING’S GONNA LIVE (2010, Los Angeles Times Critics’ Pick) and HAROLD AND LILLIAN: A HOLLYWOOD LOVE STORY (2015, Official Selection Cannes Film Festival). Daniel is currently creating a series of short films focusing on the art of design for the Criterion Channel on FilmStruck. Harold and Lillian will be theatrically released in April 2017, followed by the television premiere on Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
Crafting Your Documentary Script
Are you staring at a blank white page and/or hours of raw footage with NO CLUE what to do next?
Do you have an amazing story but struggling with how structure all the elements into a compelling script?
Are you overwhelmed with all the elements of your story and having trouble sorting the good from the bad?
Overwhelmed by the choices?? Not sure how to put it all together?
Whether you're just starting out on your documentary journey or in the final stages, making a deeply emotional connection with your audience is THE critical element in the making of your film. It's EVERYTHING.
Making a documentary can be a lonely and solitary endeavor, but you don't have to do this alone!
Learn From An Oscar-Nominated Documentary Filmmaker
How would you like to have an Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker take you step by step through the scriptwriting process?
Instructor Daniel Raim, an Academy Award®-nominated Writer-Director, has created a trilogy of widely acclaimed documentaries including THE MAN ON LINCOLN'S NOSE, SOMETHING'S GONNA LIVE and, his most recent work, HAROLD AND LILLIAN: A HOLLYWOOD LOVE STORY. In addition, Daniel is a trusted mentor to other filmmakers both in the editing room and classroom setting.
"Coming out of the craze of shooting and having tons of disorganized footage, I was overwhelmed. Bringing it to Dan was like coming out of a storm into a safe harbor. He got us organized and focused and soon we were off and editing. I already knew Dan was very intelligent about film. But until we started working together I had no idea exactly how high is cinematic IQ was. Working with him was like taking a master film class." ~Tim Bartell/Doggie Dream Productions (Hollywood)
Documentaries by Daniel Raim:
About This Course
In this Documentary Scriptwriting Masterclass, you will learn the basics of dramatic storytelling, and how to translate those core concepts to the craft of making a documentary film.
This course will give you a roadmap for tackling every aspect of conceiving, scripting, shooting, and assembling your documentary. Perhaps most important, this course will show you how to find the heart of the story that is waiting to be told – a story that will emerge as you develop your film.
As you build and hone your narrative skills, you’ll be introduced to practical techniques for getting a rough draft of your story and a rough assembly (or rough cut) of your film in hand at the same time.
This course includes a case study of the making of HAROLD AND LILLIAN, including a step by step tutorial from Daniel on how he built the script from scratch. You will receive a secure link to stream the first ten minutes of the film and a PDF of the full documentary script. After the film opens theatrically in Spring 2017, you will receive an additional private link to view the entire feature!
Excerpt of HAROLD AND LILLIAN Documentary Script in Final Draft
In this course you will learn:
- How to organize all the scattered pieces of your story into a beautiful and engaging narrative
- Tricks to keep your audience guessing and glued to the screen!
- How to break down your film into a series of 8-12 sequences to create a compelling story arc
- The best way to format your documentary script and the best scriptwriting software
- How to weave together your story beats (soundbites), scenes and sequences to create a compelling narrative
- How to use dramatic conflict to create emotion within the audience
- The core concepts of storytelling and how to use cinematic techniques to create greater impact
What you get:
- An exclusive, personalized scriptwriting curriculum created by an Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker
- Direct, intimate access to the instructor for questions via a private discussion forum inside the course
- Case study and script analysis of a REAL award-winning feature length documentary script
- Worksheets & assignments to solidify your understanding of the core scriptwriting and storytelling concepts
- A full and complete copy of an award-winning documentary script (HAROLD AND LILLIAN)
- Private access LINK to watch Daniel's film HAROLD AND LILLIAN (after it's theatrical release in Spring 2017)
- Samples of various award-winning scripts (Including Daniel's scripts)
- List of insider resources for transcription services, storyboarding and writing services
- A pre-formatted scriptwriting template in FINAL DRAFT .fdx, and a WORD .docx to craft your script
- BONUS: A special discount code for nearly 50% OFF the Final Draft Scriptwriting Software (you don't need Final Draft for this course, so this is an extra bonus item for those who choose it)
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the course start or end on certain dates?
When signing up for the course, you will have LIFETIME ACCESS and you are free to take the course at your own pace. The only important date is February 1st, 2017 when the content becomes available for the first time. But that doesn't mean you have to start the course on that date, it simply means you can begin the course anytime after that date.
Will I have a completed script by the end of this course?
That depends on you! If that is your goal, then yes. This course takes you step by step through the scriptwriting process from beginning to end. So if you already have your interviews shot and content gathered, then this course can definitely get you to the finish gate. But let's say you only have a hint of an idea for a documentary. Then this course will help lay the groundwork for your filming and then you can refer back to the course again and again throughout the making of your film. The thing to keep in mind is that there is no beginning or end date of this course. It is there for you to take at your own pace as you need it.
Is Daniel available to write my script?
The Documentary Scriptwriting Masterclass is all about guiding YOU to write your script and providing you with all the essential skills, tools and storytelling principles you need to tell a compelling and dramatic story. These skills will last a lifetime and can be used on your current documentary and all future projects! Daniel is there to guide you in that journey. If you'd like Daniel to critique or analyze your script or even write and edit your documentary script, that is beyond the scope of this course. HOWEVER, you can work with Daniel on a consulting basis outside the course where additional fees may apply depending on the scope of work involved.
What is the format of the course?
The format of the course is a mix of video instruction, screencasts, text, downloads, quizzes, and assignments, plus one-on-one discussion with the instructor.
Let's Get Started!
Go ahead and click the red button and let's help you make an amazing documentary!