Are you are completely baffled by the fundraising process?
Do you dread asking people for money?
Are you intimidated by wealthy individuals and unsure how to approach them for a donation?
Do documentary film grants seem out of reach?
I get it. I've been there.
When making my first documentary, the idea of asking for donations was so terrifying, that instead of taking some simple steps that could have made life so much easier (and gotten my documentary made so much faster and so much better), I put all the responsibility on my shoulders and hustled ten times harder than necessary just to avoid asking people for money. Don't make the same mistakes I did.
If you're in need of funding for your documentary, don't go it alone. Ask for help, find partners!
Even though my documentary went on to win a regional EMMY, I won't pretend raising money (or making a documentary) is easy. But if you can learn just a few simple tricks, and access the right tools and resources, you'll be AMAZED at the difference it makes in your ability to find funding for your film.
"I wanted to say you saved my filmmaking life.Your system is so easy and convenient to use. Thank you!"
-- Carla Sanchez/Documentary Director
You could quit your 9-5 job and focus full time on making your film.
You could hire exactly who you needed to make your film including a writer, production crew, editor, composer and graphics specialist.
You could get the best quality video camera and all the filmmaking gear needed to bring your artistic vision to life.
The important message of your film can finally get out to the world, potentially changing or saving lives or impacting society.
As a 30+ year communications professional, documentary producer and publisher of Desktop-Documentaries.com, I have seen time and time again how funding is often a filmmaker's biggest roadblock.
It's not lighting or sound or even story structure that provides the biggest challenge, it's the money!
Filmmakers often never even consider fundraising when they begin production. I'm no different. Fundraising was a huge and unexpected challenge when I produced my first documentary.
I took a lot of wrong turns and learned the hard way. For example, I discovered just how important it is to ask people for money either in person or by phone. That's how I got a $25,000 grant (after just one phone call!).
Through trial and error, I eventually learned how to approach people, when to approach people and how to make an ask for support with confidence.
I don't pretend that fundraising is easy. What I do know is that with a few simple tools and some guidance, anyone with a passion for their film CAN raise money.
The Fundraising Mindset (VIDEO) - Critical to your fundraising success. Don't underestimate this step!
Why People Donate To Documentaries (VIDEO) - Learn these psychological triggers to boost donations and make it a win-win for you AND the donor!
Where To Find The Money -- A comprehensive overview of all the places to find money for your film.The Treasure Hunt begins here!
How To Get The Money (VIDEO) -- Tips, tricks and techniques for winning donations from wealthy donors, foundations and the "crowd."
The Fundraising Tools (VIDEO) -- Available resources to help you gather the GOLD (You'll be amazed what you learn here!)
How To Create a Powerful Fundraising Trailer (VIDEO) -- A must-have item for your fundraising tool box! Learn the essential components of a winning fundraising trailer.
How To Create a Knock Out Elevator Pitch & Log Line (VIDEO) -- Important for Film Festivals, Events and On-The-Spot Donations!
The Documentary Fundraising Course is an 18-part multi-media series of videos, graphical elements and text modules that covers the full spectrum of fundraising. It's taught in an easy-to-follow and fun way.
A private discussion forum inside the course dashboard allows direct access to the course instructor.
Access to the course is available immediately after purchase and can be accessed at any time by logging into your account.
Mastering fundraising doesn't happen overnight. Therefore, you'll have lifetime access to the materials throughout the making of your documentary and as long as you need them.
If you understand fundraising and know where to find money for your documentary, this fundraising course is not for you.
However, if you are baffled by the fundraising process and struggle to find funding for your film, the Documentary Fundraising Course is an eye-opening resource.
Do you want to get past the hurdle of raising money so that you can get on with making your film?
Imagine putting together a documentary pitch that helps you bring in tens of thousands of dollars (or MORE). Isn't it worth at least the same amount you'd pay a production assistant for one day's work if it helps you raise an extra $5,000, $75,000 or $1-million? Your small investment has easily paid for itself!
- Welcome To Documentary Fundraising!
- Your Treasure Map
- Course Overview & Objectives
- How NOT To Fundraise For Your Documentary (VIDEO)
- Fundraising Mindset: "Rethinking Fundraising" (VIDEO)
- Your Filmmaking Goals (Assignments & Exercises)
- Why People Donate To Documentaries (VIDEO)
- Your Fundraising Strategy
- Where's The Money? Your Treasure Hunt Begins!
- 15 Essential Fundraising Tools for Documentary Projects
- Top Social Media Strategies for Filmmakers
- Grabbing A Headline: News Media and Press Releases
- Pitching Your Idea: How To Craft an Elevator Pitch and Log Line (VIDEO)
- What's A Fiscal Sponsor and Why Do I Need One?
- Tips For A Sizzling Fundraising Trailer (VIDEO)
- Example Fundraising Trailer #1 (VIDEO)
- Example Fundraising Trailer #2 (VIDEO)
- Example Fundraising Trailer #3 (VIDEO)
- Example Fundraising Trailer #4 (VIDEO)
- How To Make The Ask (VIDEO)
- How To GET The Money (VIDEO)
- Major Donors: How To Partner With Wealthy Individuals
- Mega Millions: How To Win A Film Grant
- Reaching The Masses: Crowdfunding
- Interactive Grant Finding Tool
- Live Funding & Festival Deadline Calendar
- 25 Fundraising Ideas For Documentary & Video Projects (PDF)
- Documentary Fundraising Check List (PDF)
- Fundraising Clues & Quick Tips
- Summary & Resources
- How did you like this course?