About the Filmmaker
Jilann Spitzmiller is an award-winning documentary filmmaker whose work has appeared on the BBC, Sundance Channel, Starz/Encore, Aljazeera, PBS, Canal+ and many other channels worldwide.
Spitzmiller is a 3-time recipient of ITVS funding and has twice received Sundance Institute funding. She has been a Sundance Institute fellow and a mentor at NALIP's Producer's Lab, as well as a guest panelist and teacher at many festivals and workshops.
Her work has won more than 20 awards and has been shown around the globe. Her documentary SHAKESPEARE BEHIND BARS premiered in competition at the Sundance Film Festival and has become a cult classic. She co-directed, produced and edited HOMELAND which aired on National PBS. Jilann’s most recent feature documentary, STILL DREAMING, released on PBS in April 2018.
She co-founded DocuMentors and is deeply committed to helping filmmakers world-wide have the most impact that they can by telling their best story possible.
Documentary Consulting Package
Are you in need of some one-on-one help with your documentary?
Are you stuck or struggling with some aspect of the filmmaking process?
This is your chance to speak one-on-one with a seasoned documentary filmmaker about YOUR project.
Ask anything you like!
Topics for the call can include:
- Documentary Idea Development
- Funding, Proposals and Budgeting
- Rough Cut / Fine Cut Review
- How to break into the filmmaking biz
- Ideas for how to structure your documentary
- Personal instruction through Jilann's Documentary Budgeting Masterclass
- Feedback on your trailer or pitch
- Distribution Ideas
**Students enrolled in Jilann's Documentary Budgeting Masterclass get a 10% discount on consulting.
How It Works
Once you pay for your consulting, you'll have access to Jilann's personal email and you'll be able to immediately book your consulting call.
You'll also be asked to fill out a brief survey explaining your project so that Jilann can properly plan for your call.
Jilann Spitzmiller (center) at the Sundance Film Festival
for her documentary SHAKESPEARE BEHIND BARS
"Jilann's many talents, filmmaking expertise and loving support was indispensable during pre-production, production and post-production of our award-winning documentary. From creating a film treatment through the final edit, Jilann's brilliant spirit encouraged us as well as showed us how to proceed when we felt discouraged and overwhelmed by the capricious nature of filmmaking. "
- CRISTINA MCCANDLESS, “FROM ZIMBABWE TO SANTA FE” (Winner of 5 film festival awards)
"After we had the benefit of your great consultation session, we recut the film to a new version that we really feel tells the story we wanted to tell. We returned many times to your notes, which so often hit just the right chord."
- RICHARD WILHELM & SUE ARBUTHNOT, "DRYLAND" (World premiere Big Sky Documentary Film Fest, winner Best Documentary NW Filmmaker, Eugene International Film Festival, plus many stops on the film festival circuit)
1) Choose one of the consulting options below and click the red buy button to pre-pay for your consulting.
2) You'll immediately receive access to Jilann's personal email and you can book your call whenever you're ready.
3) Prior to the call, fill out a brief survey about your project providing whatever information Jilann needs for the consult.
4) Hop on the call at the appointed time and get all your questions answered!
Ultimate Documentary Budgeting System by Jilann Spitzmiller